Mortgage Assistance for Homeowners

Are you a homeowner that has been financially impacted by COVID-19? Continue reading for information about possible resources in your area. 

Are there programs available to help with mortgage? 

While most Emergency Rental Assistance Programs are targeted towards renters, there may be programs in your community that could help with mortgage and/or utility payments. 

To find a mortgage assistance program, visit and search “Mortgage Payment Assistance.” To find utility assistance, search “Electric Service Payment Assistance,” “Gas Service Payment Assistance,” “Heating Fuel Payment Assistance,” and/or “Water Service Payment Assistance.”

There are also many programs that provide financial counseling, including tips for how to avoid foreclosure. To find these programs, visit and search “Mortgage Delinquency and Default Counseling.”

What if I can’t find a program to help with mortgage payments? 

First, contact your mortgage service provider to find out if you are eligible for forbearance or to work out a payment plan. When working with your servicer, you should: 

  • State that you are having a financial hardship due to COVID-19. You will not be required to provide documentation of this hardship.
  • Request a COVID-19 Forbearance for your mortgage payments.
  • Ask your servicer to confirm the details of your agreement in writing.

There also may be other ways you could save on bills including food, transportation and more. To locate services near you, visit and click on “Basic Needs” to search for help in your community.   

Are there any protections in place to stop foreclosure during COVID-19? 

Homeowners with an FHA-insured forward or Home Equity Conversion Mortgage (HECM) loan and homeowners with a Section 184 or Section 184A mortgage loan are protected from foreclosure through June 30, 2021.

For additional help preventing foreclosure: 

Other Resources: 

Need more information? 

Dial 2-1-1 or 1-888-892-1162 to speak with a trained call specialist, available 24/7/365. 


SOURCE: U.S. Department of Housing & Urban Development 

Return to Blog


Housing, Utilities