The Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) is a temporary emergency program that helps eligible households afford water and wastewater services.
Am I eligible for LIHWAP?
To be eligible for LIHWAP, a household must have at least one U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen and:
- Have income equal to or less than 150% of the federal poverty level
- Have household services that are disconnected, about to be disconnected, or have a current outstanding bill
- Be responsible for the water bill
How can I apply for LIHWAP?
Applications are being accepted through September 30, 2023 or until funds run out. If you are eligible, there are 4 ways to apply:
- Online: epass.nc.gov
- Paper: You can download a paper application, print it, fill it out, and return it to your local county Department of Social Services by dropping it off or faxing it.
LIHWAP Paper Application – English (PDF)
LIHWAP Paper Application – Spanish (PDF)
- Phone: You can apply by phone by calling your local county Department of Social Services.
- In-Person: Applications are available at your local county Department of Social Services.
Need more information?
CLICK HERE for more information from NCDHHS or dial 2-1-1 or 888-892-1162. Our call specialists are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Last updated 3/17/2022