Nonprofits and charitable organizations are always looking for donations to help fund their work. As a donor, it can be difficult to choose which organizations you should invest in. Ultimately, this is a personal decision, based on your interests and financial situation, but there are a few ways to help make your decision easier.
How can I find nonprofits in my community?
There are several online search tools that can you help you find charitable organizations based on category and location:
- North Carolina Charity Registry
- North Carolina Center for Nonprofits Membership Directory
- Great Nonprofits
You may also be able to search locally through your Chamber of Commerce.
How can I find the reputation of a nonprofit?
It’s important to do some research on an organization before donating. Consider reading donor testimonials, reviewing annual reports and financials, and asking friends and family if they have experience with the organization. Here are a few ways to get started:
- Visit the nonprofit’s website to view reports and financials. Most organizations will have this information displayed on their website.
- Search for financial data through ProPublica, GuideStar, or Charity Navigator.
- Read reviews for nonprofits on Great Nonprofits, Charity Watch, or via Google/Facebook.
How should I decide which organization to donate to?
Ask yourself a few important questions before deciding on which organization to donate to:
- Is the organization a legitimate nonprofit registered with the IRS?
- Does the organization align with my passions and interests?
- How is the organization spending money?
If you are interested in donating to your local United Way, visit unitedwaync.org/nc-united-way-directory to find the United Way serving your community.
How much should I donate?
This is a personal decision, based on your financial situation. Many organizations offer the opportunity to set up an automatic monthly donation, which allows you to consistently donate without having to think about it.
Are donations tax-deductible?
Generally, if the organization is tax-exempt, you can deduct charitable contributions if you itemize deductions. CLICK HERE to learn more.
Last updated 3/10/2022