The Pandemic Electronic Benefit Transfer (P-EBT) program helps families purchase food for children whose access to free or reduced-priced meals at school has been impacted by COVID-19 because students are learning virtually, outside of brick-and-mortar schools. P-EBT is a collaboration between the NC Department of Health and Human Services and the NC Department of Public Instruction. Click here to learn more about the P-EBT program.
Who is eligible for P-EBT?
To be eligible for P-EBT, a student must meet these two criteria:
- Be enrolled in a school that participates in the National School Lunch Program (NSLP) and
- Be eligible for free or reduced-price meals
The student must also meet both of the following learning circumstances:
- The student’s school was closed or has been operating with reduced attendance for at least 5 consecutive days during the 2020 to 2021 school year, AND
- The student is learning in a “remote learning mode” (all virtual instruction) or in a “hybrid learning mode” (combination of virtual and in-person instruction) during the month.
Click here to learn more about eligibility requirements.
How can I apply?
Families do not need to apply for P-EBT. Benefits will be administered automatically.
How will I get my benefits?
Eligible families already receiving Food and Nutrition Services (FNS) benefits will receive an additional benefit on their existing EBT card. Eligible families who do not have an FNS or P-EBT card will be mailed a card.
The P-EBT card functions like a standard EBT card, and the same guidelines apply. The P-EBT card can be used to purchase food items at EBT authorized food and grocery retailers, including most major grocery stores.
Other Frequently Asked QuestionsHow much will I receive in P-EBT benefits?
The student’s learning mode (hybrid vs. remote learning) will determine the amount they will receive each month. Click here to learn more about how payment is calculated.
- Visit www.ebtedge.com. Click on “More Information” under EBT Cardholder. You will be prompted to login and/or register your account.
- Download the ebtEDGE mobile app. The app is available on Apple Store and Google Play.
- Call 1-888-622-7328 and follow the prompts to activate your card and select a PIN.
For more frequently asked questions, visit NCDHHS
Need more information?
If you didn’t find what you need on this page or need more information on local resources, dial 2-1-1 or 888-892-1162. Our call specialists are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.